Programme and Award Title and Code: Certificate In Data Protection Skills 6S20749
This programme module aims to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to develop standard and, measure performance in order to operate in a Data Protection Role.
Awarding Body: Quality and Qualifications Ireland
Recognition on the NFQ: This programme is recognised on the National Framework of Qualifications.
NFQ Level and Credits: This is a NFQ Level 6 programme with 15 Credits.
Type of Award: Special Purpose Award
Programme content: The programme is made up of the following 5 sections.
- Section 1 : Overview of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Section 2 : Role of a Data Protection Officer
- Section 3 : Processing of Personal Data
- Section 4 : Rights of the Data Subject and Responding to Requests
- Section 5 : Risk Assessment & Data Processing
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge of Data protection principles under the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27th April 2016 and other current data protection legislation and differentiate between the obligations of a data controller and a data processor and the role of a supervisory authority.
- Gain practical skills in monitoring compliance appropriate to a range of data protection settings and managing the facilitation of requests from service users clients or customers wishing to exercise rights under GDPR.
- Understand the role of a data protection officer in in educating others and raising awareness in others in data protection policies and procedures relevant to the role of the individual
- Utilise relevant data protection legislation to create policies and procedures for implementation in an organisational setting and understand the rights of the Data Subject and how to respond to requests.
- Understand the responsibility of a controller in Risk Assessment & Data Processing and be able to identify personal data breaches and the correct notification procedures
- Understand and learn how to prepare for a data audit
Programme duration: 7 sessions online - Next Start Date Monday 12th September 2022 - 6.30pm to 9.30pm
Programme fee and any other applicable fees: €595
Funding Options may be available for this programme. Please contact our office to discuss possible funding options available to you.
Learner profile: This programme is for you if you are in existing role that requires more specialised Data Protection Skills qualifications, or you are a graduate looking to gain employment in a Data Protection role.
You may be in one of the following categories;
- Data Protection Officers
- Those seeking a role within data protection.
- Business Owners
- Data Controllers
Application process and entry requirements: Click this link for application process and entry requirements.
Details of RPL if applicable: Click this link for Recognition of Prior Learning Information
Distinction 80% or over
Teaching, learning and assessment procedures: Click this link for information on teaching, learning and assessment procedures.
Access, transfer and progression arrangements:
To access this program, please contact our office, who will provide to you via email our application form to access this program. Application form for assessment by our office. Upon successful assessment of our criteria, you will be offered a place on this program.
On completion of your QQI programme you may progress to additional one day programmes available from Talentpool which you will be able to use for CPD credits. Alternatively, you can use the credits gained through your QQI certified programme to access further courses in business or administration or apply for exemptions in a full award programme for the module that you have completed.
TalentPool strives to support access to this QQI Data Protection Skills programme. Entry arrangements are clear, and the allocation of places is determined by an entry level requirement of QQI Level 7 in a related field.
There are Recognition of Prior Learning mechanisms in place to facilitate applicants who do not meet traditional entry criteria but who have achieved equivalent learning outcomes from informal/non-formal/experiential learning scenarios, see section on RPL.
Possible employment opportunities: Within Ireland there are many employment opportunities within the area of Data Protection. The demand for competent data protection staff continues to increase with focus on understanding GDPR compliance and working with data within the regulations. Opportunities are published regularly on jobs.ie and publicjobs.ie. Salaries reflect the level of skills required in these roles.
The Data Protection Commission provide guidance on appropriate qualifications for a Data Protection Officer (GDPR)
Supports available: Click this link for information on learner supports and resources.
English language and other requirements: English language requirements are specified for all programmes.
Get more information and timetable below.
What are participants saying about this programme?
’I feel that over the duration of the course I gained a lot of knowledge that will be beneficial to me in my current role. The course was well run and although it was difficult not being in a classroom setting (due to COVID19), I feel that the course was delivered very well remotely,’’
“The course was quite challenging and was not what I expected for a QQI/FETAC Course. It was very challenging and explored GDPR in great depth. The course tutor was a highly recognised expert in the area and made himself available outside of the course schedule for advice. Since completing the course I've been offered two promotions within my organisation”